2 medium red onions (sliced)
2 large eggs
Half red chilli (deseeded and chopped)
Pepper and soy sauce (to season eggs)
Pinch of salt
Healthy cooking oil of your choice (olive oil is a healthier option)
Top tip: Crunchy veggies like diced tomatoes, red peppers, and green peppers also go great with this omelette recipe, so feel free to add them in (we can’t as we’re restrained by a budget!).
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with a bit of soy sauce and pepper till well combined.
- Fry onion and chilli in a tiny bit of oil, and sprinkle a pinch of salt onto the onion while you are frying.
- When onion softens, add in the beaten eggs and stir to combine.
- Leave it alone over medium high heat so the bottom can get cooked.
- Carefully flip the omelette so the top side gets cooked too. (If you’re not sure how, refer to this useful video).
This delicious red onion omelette recipe is part of our Healthy Meals Under RM10 series. The Asian recipes in this series are contributed by Gina Poh, a caterer with more than 20 years of culinary experience.
What other ingredients do you like in an omelette? Share the love in the comments below!
Gina Poh has been having a love affair with cooking for the past 25 years. She currently owns a small catering business, where she caters meals,drinks, and desserts to functions, parties, and meetings for up to 50 people. During her free time, she continues cooking and baking to the delight of many. You can find her delicious cooking here.