50g ikan bilis (dried anchovies)
300g spinach (bayam)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
500ml filtered water
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Healthy cooking oil of your choice (olive oil is a healthier option)
- Boil ikan bilis in 500ml filtered water for 15 minutes.
- Remove ikan bilis using a strainer but keep the soup stock.
- Stir fry the garlic in a tiny bit of oil till golden, then pour in the ikan bilis stock and bring to a boil.
- Drop in spinach and boil for 5 minutes.
- Crack and egg and stir it in.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This delicious spinach soup recipe is part of our Healthy Meals Under RM10 series. The Asian recipes in this series are contributed by Gina Poh, a caterer with more than 20 years of culinary experience.
What other ways do you enjoy spinach? Tell us in the comments below!
Gina Poh has been having a love affair with cooking for the past 25 years. She currently owns a small catering business, where she caters meals,drinks, and desserts to functions, parties, and meetings for up to 50 people. During her free time, she continues cooking and baking to the delight of many. You can find her delicious cooking here.