1 medium-sized pomfret (ikan bawal mas) (we got ours for RM5 from NSK Kuchai Lama. Get them to clean it for you)
4 long spring onions (cut into 4cm lengths)
1/2 thumb-length ginger (julienned – cut into strips)
2 pcs pickled sour plum
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate fish with a bit of salt and pepper on both sides. Set aside.
- Line a steel plate with half the spring onions and place fish on top.
- Mash sour plum, ginger and sugar together.
- Stuff a little bit of the sour plum ginger mix into the cleaned stomach of the fish (to counter the fishy flavour), and spread the rest on top of the fish.
- Steam until cooked (we steamed ours for about 12 minutes).
- Garnish with the rest of the spring onions.
- Serve the steamed fish immediately.
Top tip: If you poke the fish with something sharp and it pokes right through, that’s the sign that it’s ready. If it’s hard to prick through the skin of the fish, then it’s still uncooked and needs more time in the steamer.
This delicious recipe is part of our Healthy Meals Under RM10 series. The Asian recipes in this series are contributed by Gina Poh, a caterer with more than 20 years of culinary experience.
What do you think of this recipe? Do you have any other ideas on cooking pomfret? Share with us in the comments below!
Gina Poh has been having a love affair with cooking for the past 25 years. She currently owns a small catering business, where she caters meals,drinks, and desserts to functions, parties, and meetings for up to 50 people. During her free time, she continues cooking and baking to the delight of many. You can find her delicious cooking here.