Ask the Expert: I Have Difficulty Holding in My Pee, What Should I Do?

Urinary incontinence in women


I am a 53-year old woman and I have been experiencing difficulty holding in urine, especially when I sneeze or cough. Is there any treatment for this condition?


Incontinence is quite a common problem among women after menopause.

Treatment is available to control incontinence though many people are too embarrassed to seek medical help.

Some treatments for incontinence include hormone replacement therapy, bladder training, weight reduction and if needed, surgery. Do see a doctor for the best advice on which of these treatments or what other alternatives will be best to address your condition.


Ask the Expert is where we answer questions on all aspects of your health and wellness. This panel of experts is facilitated by our content partner Only Health, and include Beldeu Singh, Datin Farah Diba Khan, Dr Ahmad Fauzi Md Sharif, Dr George Yap, Dr Harvinder Singh, Dr Kuljit Singh, Dr Leow Chee Seng, Dr Muhaya Hj Mohamad, Dr Shalini Kanagasingam, Dr Yap Yoke Yeow, Prof Dr Muhaya Hj Mohamad, and Prof Ong Kok Hai.
Send in your health-related questions to

Share a Thought

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.