1 medium-sized tenggiri fish (about 500g), cut into 5 pieces
3 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
1 tsp salt
10 ladies fingers
2g black pepper, crushed
Ingredients B (Blended together)
10g (about 2cm) fresh turmeric
5g (about 1cm) fresh galangal
2 dried chillies
2 stalks lemongrass
5g shrimp paste (optional)
Ingredients C (Mixed and Strained)
20g tamarind paste
- Heat oil in a wok, stir-fry Ingredients B until fragrant.
- Add in the crushed black pepper and fry until fragrant.
- Pour in Ingredients C and simmer.
- Add in fish and salt to taste. Add in ladies fingers.
- Once the fish is cooked, remove and serve.
Top tip: If you poke the fish with something sharp and it pokes right through, that’s the sign that it’s ready. If it’s hard to prick through the skin of the fish, then it’s still uncooked and needs more time in the wok.
Nutritional content per serving (320g):
- Calories: 204 kcal
- Fat: 8.7g
- Protein: 21g
- Calcium: 82mg
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
See more of our Malaysian Chilli recipe series or check out our Healthy Meals Under RM10 series.
Any favourite Nyonya recipes that are also healthy? Share with us in the comments below or on our Facebook page!