Author of "Guide to Fitness for Busy People" and fitness coach Lyn Kong shares some tips on how to fit a workout into your busy schedule:
With 24 hours in a day, everyone needs to find time to sweat it out. Here are some ideas on how you can fit in at least 10 minutes of exercise into your busy schedule:
1. Stretch – Anywhere and Everywhere!
When you’re waking up, watching TV or even sitting down for a long duration, do these stretches:
- Chest stretch: open up your arms as wide as you can to the sides, and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- Quadriceps: stand up tall, hold one ankle and pull it backwards till it touches your bum.
- Back: Twist side to side and lifting your trailing heel as you twist left and right.
- Hamstrings: lift one leg and place it on a table/bench. Keeping your back straight, hinge your hips back till you feel the stretch behind your thigh.
2. While Travelling
- If you travel a lot, ensure the hotel you stay in has a fitness centre. Otherwise, ensure you have a mini bodyweight workout program planned.
- At the airport, instead of taking the travellator (flat elevator), walk with all your bags. Avoid pushing the trolley or even using the buggy.
- Do mobility exercises when waiting at the departure lounge. Stretch out your lower back, hamstrings and chest!
3. At Home
- Spend 20 minutes doing some sort of physical activity e.g. housework, wash your vehicle or even walk the dog.
- During commercials, try doing squats, lunges, push-ups or planks. 2 minutes of something is better than nothing!
4. Lunch Breaks
- Instead of spending every lunch hour sitting down and eating, why not join a gym nearby and spend 30 minutes doing some strength training?
- Choose a venue slightly further away than usual that allows you to walk more than what you are used to.
5. Walk or Take the Stairs Whenever You Can
- While waiting for your child at a tuition centre, take a walk around the housing area or surrounding shops. Choose to take the stairs instead of the lift whenever possible.
- Even at sports practice, do take this opportunity to jog or brisk walk around the field. Better if there are circuit training multi-stations around.
6. Have Fun!
- Take your kids out for a game of badminton, play tag or take a walk in the park after a meal.
- Indulge in an XBOX/PS3 game such as Dance Central or Kinect Sports! You can break into a good sweat with 30 minutes of non-stop dancing!
- Invest in an exercise DVD/program that you can break up the training regimen. This will allow you some time to recover and utilize time efficiently.
7. Short Workouts
- Try this workout: 15 Squats, 10 Table Push Ups and 10 Arm Circles. Do this 3 times. You can opt for other bodyweight exercises such as lunges, chair dips or good mornings.
- For core strength, try holding in a plank position, superman or hollow-rock position for 30 seconds, for 4 rounds.
When there’s a will, there’s a way. Stay committed to your goals and you will achieve success!
How do you fit in workouts despite your busy schedule? Share with us in the comments below or on our Facebook page!